MDF® Deluxe Sprague Rappaport X Stethoscope Color: Navy Blue

MDF® Deluxe Sprague Rappaport X Stethoscope Color: Navy BlueHere is the one-word summary of my review for this stethoscope: Outstanding!

If you look at my profile, you will see I've reviewed other steths before. I'm a nursing student who is obsessive about his stethoscope. I also happen to like the Sprague-Rappaport style steth which has unfortunately been the victim of cheap knock-offs that are sub-par in terms of sensitivity, fit and finish, and comfort. I know; I own one: Prestige Traditional Black Sprague Stethoscope. The price is right for a poor college student, and they work fine for BP's, etc. But I kept hearing how the Sprague-Rappaport style was the pinnicle of auscultation... heck, I just wanted one that didn't fall apart, was comfy to wear, blocked outside noises, and allowed me to hear bowel sounds, respiration sounds, and various cardiac shenanigans on my patients!

I know every one loves Littmann, and that's fine; They make an excellent lineup of steths and I own one myself Littmann 2141 Master Classic II Stethoscope, Black Edition; However, I like the non-tunable diaphragms and the concept of various attachments for my steth to make it more versatile.

But enough of my soapbox ranting. Here's why students (and I also feel nursing professionals) should give this steth (and MDF as a whole) a chance with their hard-earned money:

1) Sound quality. What good is a stethoscope if you cannot auscultate effectively with it? The difference between this and the Prestige is night and day! I can utilize both the bell and diaphragm on this steth and the pulsations from the pulmonic and aortic regions are full and have depth to them. I don't have to search for them, they are right there where the text and my teachers say they should be! And there is really a difference between the sounds obtained via the diaphragm and the bells, just as there should be!

2) Build quality. I'll be honest with everyone: I just got this steth today, so I do not know how long it will last in the trenches. But as soon as I opened the box and tried it out, I felt strongly enough to come here and tell you all about it: The dual head on this steth is much heavier and denser than the Prestige Sprague I own. It turns with a very positive, full-feeling 'click'. Very reassuring. There is also pressure in the ear tips when the bell is selected and removed from the patient's body quickly which signifies tight internal tolerances. My other steth didn't have that at all. (The head of the Prestige felt as though it were just floating on a pivot). The tubing (or lumen)of the MDF 767x is thick and has a high-quality glossiness to it. The pictures show it looking dull, but it is of high quality in feeling, looks, and sound. The retaining spring on the binaurals is coated in this same lumen PVC, so everything looks great and uniform. Even the attachments and attachment pouch are higher quality than the other Spragues I've seen. Though they are plastic, they FEEL denser, more durable. The whole set up comes in a foam-lined cardboard box, not a plastic container. Really classy presentation overall.

3) Comfort. If you've tried other Spragues, you know they can feel like something developed during the Spanish Inquisition. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM! The steth came with multiple sets of soft ear plugs that are very comfortable and do a great job of blocking extraneous noises. The other comfort issue with Spragues is their weight. While this steth feels substantial and heavier than other steths I've used, it doesn't feel like a mill stone around my neck. I could see wearing this for a twelve-hour shift, no problem.

4) X-configuration. The dual-tube/lumen Spragues traditionally created noise artifacts when the two tubes rubbed against one another. Trained ears can detect what is background noise and what is important, but we students don't have that benefit yet. This configuration has the two tubes intersecting, then splitting again at the earpieces. Extraneous noise from the lumen is gone, and auscultating (to this novice) is much easier. Plus the tubes don't get twisted up or kinked!

5) MDF stethoscopes have parts for life. I hope I do not have to take advantage of this, and I do NOT know what parts are covered, but if the company wants to hook me up with replacement parts, mores the better.

Conclusion:

I'm trying to be upfront with everyone about this stethoscope and my experience level. I don't represent MDF and I'm not a pro with years under his belt. I'm a rookie student who was hoping to find info on stethoscopes and decided to write reviews here as I tried them out. FWIW, this scope is incredible! I will watch this scope like my classmates watch their Littmanns :) I really recommend this steth for students for all of the reasons listed above plus the fact that it is so versatile (when considering attachments plus an included name tag). Lot's of bang for the buck here. Plus, with no tunable diaphragms, you can concentrate on what you need to hear, and not messing with changing diaphragm pressure on an uneven body, cachectic patient, or a very old person to get various sounds like with Littmann (again, not bagging Littmann, its just a preference thing). I had never heard of MDF and decided to take a chance. I'm thrilled I did, and I hope this write-up helps others make a decision. I will try to update this post as time goes on.

Cheers!

John

This stethoscope came in prestine condition and works wonderfully. It has extra pieces for long term use. I would recommend this to any student or professional.

Buy MDF® Deluxe Sprague Rappaport X Stethoscope Color: Navy Blue Now

comfort, good weight, balance, clear sound, hope the paint does not chip off like the previous 1 it is a keeper

Read Best Reviews of MDF® Deluxe Sprague Rappaport X Stethoscope Color: Navy Blue Here

The shipping was incredibly fast! Shipped from PA to CA, got it within a week of ordering and shipping was free! The stethoscope is good so far, haven't used it for long. I do notice some artifact when rubbing against tubing, but it's easily discernable from actual physiologic sounds. Not too heavy, easy to use. Mine is all black. I expected it to have some chrome/stainless like the bell and ear part but that's ok. Makes no difference. I had a cardiology 3 before but lost it. I don't notice that this one is any less in audible quality except for the artifact which i never had with card 3. Good purchase as it's like 1/3 the cost of card 3!

Want MDF® Deluxe Sprague Rappaport X Stethoscope Color: Navy Blue Discount?

I bought this product for nursing school and it has worked great so far. I can hear clearly and it is loud. I kinda wish it wasn't all black but that is just personal taste. Overall, great product.

Save 22% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment