Active Innovations Dorsal Night Splint - Black (Small) by Cramer

Active Innovations Dorsal Night Splint - Black by CramerThis is my second dorsal night splint. I purchased one several years ago to deal with my plantar fasciitis and was very pleased with its performance. It fit well and was comfortable and durable and I had no hesitation about buying another if I ever needed it.

The splint works by securing the wearer's foot in a neutral position by use of a rigid plastic shell secured to the leg by velcro straps. The splint is adjustable for left or right foot by means of a "split" plastic foot cup that, once adjusted, is held in place by a third velcro strap. The splint is fairly light and comfortable compared to heavier boot-type splints. It is open at the back, making it lighter and cooler to wear through the night.

I needed a second splint because my PT recently recurred in both feet. I had no hesitation in ordering a second of the same model because, as mentioned above, it is easy to adjust, light and fairly comfortable, and I had a good experience with my first one. Since I was going to need two, I wanted to make sure that they would be of the same design and weight and that I could tolerate wearing both.

However, the splint I recently purchased pales in comparison to the first one, although they are both made by the same company. The design of the DNS in general includes a soft fabric lining inside the hard plastic shell of the splint with a small split in the material to allow for stress on the interior without tearing the fabric. In my older splint, the plastic shell that protrudes slightly through that split in the fabric doesn't interfere with the comfort of the splint at all; in this latest version, that plastic protrusion is rough and scratches the top of my foot. Since the splint must be snug to work, loosening it to take the pressure off defeats the purpose, so I had to line it myself with moleskin just so I could tolerate that little bit of plastic against my skin. I compared the same areas of both splints and while both have what I "think" might be a mold line, the protrusion in the earlier splint is fairly smooth; I can only describe that same portion of the second splint as jagged.

My main complaint, though, involves the foot portion of the newer splint, which, let's face it, is the most important component. Both have the same design the foot portion is adjustable for right or left, with the adjustment being made by means of sliding one side of the foot cup under or over the other side, held in place by a velcro strap that goes around the instep. The idea is that the wearer adjusts the strap once based on his or her foot size, secures it snugly, and doesn't have to readjust it on a regular basis. The velcro strap that secures it is not supposed to slide or otherwise move from that position, guaranteeing that the wearer's foot will remain unflexed throughout the night. On the newer splint, the velcro strap (which is heavier in weight than the original) slides all over the place, no matter how I adjust the foot cup or orient the leg straps. As a result, by morning (and sometimes halfway through the night), the foot portion is loose, and the leg straps have shifted as well, and I'm pretty sure that my foot has spent a good deal of the night out of the correct position. Let me be perfectly clear about this point: The problems I'm having with this splint are not the result of inexperience. I know how to use it and how it should feel and perform and what is more, I have something to directly compare it to. In my opinion, this newer splint is poorly designed and manufactured compared to the other one I have.

The wearer can walk a short distance in this splint, e.g., for a few steps to the bathroom in the night. This newer splint has a traction patch on the underside (the older splint never needed one; perhaps the thickness and smoothness of the new velcro straps is the reason) that catches on carpet and causes the splint to stop abruptly, which adds to the instability of the strap around the foot. It is forced backward underneath, which causes it to loosen and allow the foot cup to open slightly. I can easily imagine someone who is not used to using a splint like this losing his or her balance and perhaps tripping over the front of the splint.

I purchased this item through a company that sells here on Amazon. I am not sure if it was a "second", or if it is a discontinued design,or if I just got a bad one, but If I were a first-time user, I would never buy this again. However, since I've used the original product with great success before, I am disappointed that the newer version is clearly inferior. If I ever need another one, I'll hunt it down in a brick-and-mortar store so I can look at it firsthand, rather than take a chance on buying it online. Since the company I purchased it through does not pay return shipping AND adds a restocking fee, it is not worth it to me to return the item I'll just have to jerry-rig it as best I can to get through this lastest bout of plantar fasciitis and look for another appliance to replace it in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment